Thursday, June 11, 2009

Everything is BIGGER in Texas

Including the lightning and thunderstorms. We had a doozy last night. Ava and I went to the zoo with some friends yesterday and when we were pulling in the garage when we got home I could hear the city tornado sirens going off. I swear, I didn't even know bad weather was coming but apparently we were in the hot spot for tornadoes, bone-crushing thunder, and 70 mph winds. At 8 pm, after a bolt of lightning that lit the sky and thunder that felt like it was shaking our house, our power went out. It is now 11:30 the next morning and still out. Apparently it's dangerous to repair power lines while there is still massive lightning in the sky! It's amazing how much we depend on electricity. Like this morning when I realized my cell phone was about to die and I had no way to charge it and since I have a cordless phone at home I was soon to be cut off from communication to the outside world. I'll be honest, the thought freaked me out. And of course, there was no internet. So Ava and I loaded in the car (after I raised the garage door manually - ugh the torture!) and headed to a friends house to soak up the comfort, convenience and bliss that is electricity. My cell phone is charging on the counter, Ava is dancing to the music coming from the television and here I sit updating my blog for all to read. I would have made a terrible cavewoman.

6 comments:

cate said...

Glad you survived! I hope your power comes back on soon

Are your TV weathermen celebrities there like they are in Kansas? I didn't understand why until we had our first tornado.

MariePhotographie said...

Eeek! That's scary and unsettling. I don't know what I'd do without the Internet. I hope everything turns back on soon!

Mellonee said...

My sympathies! Our internet went down Sunday morning which would have been fine but I had a lesson to do without LDS.org. Had to actually find the scriptures for the lesson not type in a phrase and have it show up for me. Yikes! :-)

Ann said...

Freaked me out too, I about spent the night in the closet. Wes on the other hand found every excuse to go outside (at least all of our garbage is now out), crazy.

SweetAbbs said...

The storm didn't freak me out so much as the idea of being without a phone and internet! Ha. After you live here for a couple years you'll get used to the storms.

Sierra said...

They shut off our power from noon to 6 the other day while they did something to a new road next door- I nearly had a nervous breakdown- especially when I realized I couldn't cook anything for dinner. It makes you think how fragile our comforts really are.