Tuesday, December 09, 2008

What am I missing?

So, I got inspired by this blog to make some homemade Christmas gifts. I love to try my hand at new things. One thing I've always wanted to try making is a sock monkey but since Ava is obsessed with elephants these days, I decided to make Ava this adorable sock elephant: Is that the cutest thing you've ever seen? Unfortunately, despite buying the book, I was having a bit of a struggle. Due to the fact that I mostly have taught myself how to sew, I often have a bit of a struggle. Here is what mine looks like:Hmmm, and there should be a couple more arm/legs somewhere. See what I mean? A struggle. So I came downstairs the other night and plopped myself on the couch next to Rob and said "Ugh, I"m so frustrated." Rob: "Why?" Me: "This sock monkey is so hard." Rob: "I thought you were making an elephant." Me: "I am." Rob: "Well, that's your problem. No wonder it's so hard." Hmmm, maybe that is my problem! Whatever it is, at the rate I"m going, Ava may be getting just plain old socks for Christmas, no elephant or monkey attached!!!

But just to prove that I'm not totally incompetent when it comes to crafting, here is the darling rag ball I finished for my cutie-patootie niece:
It even has a jingle bell inside! Now if I can just figure out that elephonkey!

3 comments:

TL said...

At first I thought the top picture was yours and I was impressed, then I went down to the bottom of the page. Sorry it's not working out but I'm still impressed with your jingle ball, bet you don't remember we had one kinda like that growing up. Good luck you crafty woman!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the linky love... and I am glad I inspired you. This is my first year for homemade gifts and I can't sew a lick, but I am having the most fun with it! Good luck with the elephant. Softies are one think I have not attempted!

Merry Christmas!

Barlow Fam said...

I think that they are so cute, you just keep up the good work!! I sure hope that you are doing well, I haven't talked to you forever! Keep in touch!